Lifeguard and Safety Courses
All Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center programs require registration in advance.
This course covers the fundamental skills required to become a certified American Red Cross Lifeguard. Students must pass a prerequisite swimming test on the first day of the course in order to continue class and must be 15 years old by the last day of the class to become certified. Certification does not guarantee employment at our facility. However, seasonally there are openings for lifeguard positions at the Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center. Choose one session for certification.
***There is a $50.00 Cancellation Fee if you choose to cancel this course within 2 weeks prior to the start date, or neglect to show up for the course all together.
PREREQUISITES for ARC Lifeguard Course
Participants must be at least 15 years old before the last scheduled class session. If you are 15 you must provide proof of age (Military ID, birth certificate, learners permit, etc.).
On the first day of class, participants will meet on the pool deck (1st set of bleachers) in your swim suit ready to perform the following prerequisites:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of these strokes only; swimming on back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. You should place your hands under your armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Swim goggles are NOT allowed.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Your face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back returning to the starting point. Both hands should be holding the object at all times while keeping your face at or near the surface of the water. Time stops when you exit the water ans stand on deck.
*You must pass all the prerequisites in order to continue on with the rest of the course.
COURSE REQUIREMENTS for ARC Lifeguard Course
Course work will include physical exercise. If you have a medical condition or disability, or if you have any question about your ability to participate fully in this course, please discuss them with your physician or health care provider before you start this course.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions
- Participate in all skill sessions/drills and demonstrate competency in all required activities and scenarios
- Demonstrate competency in all required final skill scenarios
- Pass all final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent
CERTIFICATE ISSUED for ARC Lifeguard Course
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.
Certification does not guarantee employment at our facility. If you are interested in applying for a lifeguarding position at the Freedom Aquatic & Fitness Center, applications can be found at https://jobs.gmu.edu/. (Location: Prince William)
Keep in mind that not all facilities accept American Red Cross certifications. Please check with the individual facility you are interested in applying to find out what certifications they require.Back to the Top